Charity Church, formerly Charity Community Church of God was organized in the fall of 1964, by Elder Henry Thornes, along with his wife, Mother Harriett Evelyn Thornes, Deacon Curtis J. and Mother Jessie B. Clanton, and Deacon John and Mother Lessie M. White. The first service was held on February 11, 1965.
Charity has had three pastors since its inception, Bishop Henry Thrones pastored the church until November 1993, at which time he passed the mantle to his son, Elder James H. Thornes, and in December 2004, Elder Tyrone M. Thomas was elected pastor, and was installed in January 2005.
Over the years, Charity has expanded its membership, ministries and properties:
1995 – 3210 Frederick Avenue was purchased, renovated and functioned as the Curtis J. Clanton Educational Center.
1996 – 3212 Frederick Avenue was purchased and operated as the Charity Community Outreach Center.
2003 – 3202-04 Frederick Avenue was acquired and served as the Administration Building.
Under Pastor Thomas’ leadership, Charity has flourished in many facets: Membership has increased to over 1000 worshippers, which motivated Pastor Thomas in 2009 to renovate the lower level of the Administration Building into a sanctuary to accommodate the growth in membership. Wednesday Night Bible Study attendance has more than tripled. Sunday morning Discipleship Class participants are instructed by qualified, skilled instructors.
The ordination of deacons, deaconess and trustees has doubled the church’s leadership. In addition, the number of ministries has grown, which has enabled them to more efficiently service Charity’s members and the community. In December 2014, adhering to the vision God gave him, Pastor Thomas relocated the church body to 1710-22 Gwynn Oak Avenue; Baltimore, MD 21207, renaming it Charity Church.